Friday, August 22, 2008

Food...yum

One of my favorite things to do is cook for my family. I like food, I like to shop for it and anticipate what a new recipe will taste like. I sometimes feel bad for my family because I try so many new things, they don't get repeats of things that they like.

Some of our favorite meals are the easiest to prepare. Trey and Hannah could eat bowties pasta, peas, and chicken every night if I let them. But I like to try new things so they can get the whole experience of dining. The rule in our house is that you have to eat what I fix. Generally, if I make something Mark and I love, but I know the kids will not eat, I make them a separate entree but we eat the same sides. This does not happen often because I am not a short order cook! Hannah thinks any white meat is "chicken" and darker meat is just "meat" so she really doesn't care what it is as long as it tastes good. Trey will eat what I put in front of him, though if he doesn't like it, he just doesn't have seconds.

A typical week usually consists of 2 chicken meals, a pasta, a vegetarian meal of some sort, 1 beef entree and 1 fish. 1 day a week is leftover night, breakfast for dinner, or we eat out. Each week I check the grocery store flyers (which come in Weds mail) to see what is on sale. I try to plan around sale items or at least stock up on things in the freezer when they are cheap. I also try using the same ingredients in different ways. That way, when I need thyme for example, I am not wasting any of it because it is used throught the week.

The internet, and foodtv.com are great ways to find menus. I also get a couple of magazines that feature recipes...Real Simple, Cooking Light, and Sunset have been great resources for the type of food my family enjoys. The best compliment my husband has given me is the fact that only once in 7 years has he said that he did not like what I made for dinner!

I save money by buying all my dry goods (cereal, pasta, boxed items) at Target. You would be surprised at the choices they offer for half the cost of the grocery store. I try to by meat and chicken in bulk at Costco, which seems like alot of money but it considerably less per pound when you break it down. Trader Joes has great frozen fish and Albertson's gets fresh seafood 3X a week. Sprouts can be a good place for bulk grain items and spices (especially when you only need a little of something unusual)

My grocery budget is $125/week. It seems like alot, but it goes fast. I have to include all the household items such as laundry soap, toiletries, ziplock bags, etc. in that budget. Those items add up quickly. Again we buy in bulk, which means a big expense about every 3 months but I can budget for it when I know it is coming. We just eliminate luxury food for a week or two (desserts, chips, sports drinks) to make up for the expense. I sometimes use coupons, but only when they are for money off when you spend a certain amount. I also have store cards at the grocery stores.

By saving money were I can, I am able to purchase organic or better quality meats, vegetables/fruits and dairies. All organic is out of my budget, plus we found out the hard way that organic feed chickens are not good for my family members allergic to soy (the chickens are soy-fed).

Speaking of meals, I am off to Sprouts for my weekly shopping.

1 comment:

Lylah Ledner said...

you go woman! love this....do more! and loved that pasta/chicken/pea dish last night that i got to taste...i'm still thinking about how yum it is/was!

i'm adding that to my menu this week. thanks for being you! you're one of God's best!