For MLK weekend we headed north to Flagstaff for some "fun" in the snow. We had a beautiful condo which we checked into Friday night. Saturday morning we debated our choices of outings. We decided on sledding with the kids because they had not been to the snow this winter.
After heading out to Crowley Pit (a snow play area NE of the city) we donned our winter gear and headed over to a small sledding area.
Mark and Hannah took the first run down which ended in disaster. They hit a small icy bump at the end of their 30 foot run and Mark hurt his back.
He was eventually taken by ambulance to Flagstaff Regional Medical Center, where he spent the day in their trauma center.
Upon my arrival at his bedside, I learned that he had a compression fracture of his T12 vertebrae. Mark was doped up and pretty much out of it at this point. It was then that I said it....not something loving and caring....but the following "YOU CUT HIS JACKET! THAT WAS AN EXPENSIVE SNOWBOARD JACKET HE WORE ONLY A FEW TIMES!" Mark became coherent enough to be embarrassed and the nurse just kind of shrugged it off. I am sure she has heard worse.
When I walked out into the waiting room carrying only his boots (the rest of his clothes/winter gear was cut off too, it didn't really matter at that point) I told everyone that these were his remaining clothes. They were surprised too, but had sense enough not to comment.
You never know how or what you will do during a stressful time. I held it together pretty good up until that point I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment