Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's been awhile

My sister Dani and I recently had the opportunity to watch our 2 nieces and nephew while their parents were out of town. Since my youngest is 5 and Dani's is 8 1/2, we forgot how hard it can be, especially since the twins just turned 1 and Nathan will be 3 this fall. Although the "older" girls were there to help, we both felt like we needed about 6 more hands each to do everything. Between meals, naps, playtime, and laundry we were always chasing after one kid or another.

On one particular morning, the twins had just gotten up from their morning nap. The rest of us had gone swimming and Dani, Maddy and Hannah were taking a shower. I had Carolyn and Danielle in their highchairs having graham crackers and milk. Nathan was at the counter having a small snack of graham crackers and grapes.

As Dani took her "leisurely" shower, I folded some clothes. I walked from the kitchen to the girls room to put the clothes on the dresser. I could hear Maddy and Hannah in the shower laughing, but thought it was harmless.

I returned to the kitchen not 45 seconds after leaving to find: Carolyn standing in the high chair waving her crackers widely (she was strapped in tight mind you), Danielle laughing at her sister hysterically and reaching over to Carolyn's high chair to steal her snack and Nathan crawling across the counter to get another bowl full of grapes!

Everyone's snack time was over. I cleaned the girls up and took them out of their high chairs. Nathan was removed from the counter after finishing his grapes. Since the older girls were still laughing in the shower, I went to check on them.

As I got into the bathroom, I could hear alot of water sloshing around. Since there is only a shower STALL, I wondered what was up. I asked Maddy, who opened the door to show me about 8 " of water at the bottom of the shower. They had plugged the drain by sitting on it so they could play in the water!

God only gives you what you can handle. Apparently he knew that 5 children were way too much for me :)

2 comments:

Lylah Ledner said...

all i have to say is,'join my world.' lol

miss u...'me'

LindaFox said...

Jen this is so funny! Thanks for describing it...I love to laugh. Michelle gets here Thurs night...pray for me!